Wednesday, May 4, 2011

“Is the Pacifique Sea my home? Or the Easterne riches? Is Jerusalem?”

from Parade Music

The soul is a coin.
The soul is dumb.
The soul is a word
in a line by John Donne.

Love is the Maker.
Love is a pill.
Love is the weather
inside of our skull.

Time is a pickle.
Time is a line.
Time is pocket change:
nickles and dimes.

The Plan is in chapters.
The Plan is a sham.
The Plan often hinges
on a guess or a man.

The Truth has its charms.
The Truth is a suit.
The suitor harvests
both berry and root.

The child has led us.
The child is grown.
Less taxes, the child
will get what we own.

God met us sober.
God has us drunk.
God found a bottle
of booze in the trunk.

You are my sister.
You are a lie.
You once served
my heart as a spy.

The world is a riddle.
The world is a plum.
The world is a shadetree-
some relief from the Sun.

“Whilst my Physitians
by their love are growne
Cosmographers, and I
their Map” said Donne.

No comments:

Post a Comment